Celtic stumbled yet again in the Premiership, as they succumbed to a 1-1 draw yesterday in Glasgow to Kilmarnock.

Despite taking the lead through Kyogo Furuhashi, Brendan Rodgers’ side were flat, allowing for the visitors to grow in confidence. Joe Hart had to make a couple of top-quality saves, though he could do nothing about David Watson’s injury-time equaliser. Derek McInnes’ side even had the chance to win the game right at the death, in what was a miserable showing by the current champions.

READ MORE: Are Celtic 'easy to play through' under Brendan Rodgers?

In partnership with StatsBomb, here are all the key metrics, graphs and outcomes from yesterday’s disappointing result at Celtic Park…

Trendline, xG and stats

As the match stats show, Celtic and Kilmarnock were pretty even, despite the home side’s superior possession percentage. In particular, Celtic’s xG total was very low, with Kilmarnock matching it with their cumulative score in this metrical area.

Looking at the xG race chart for yesterday’s match, it highlights just how even the game was as a whole, given the closeness of the respective lines. Amazingly, these totals calculated a 37 per cent victory chance for Kilmarnock, whilst only 34 per cent for Celtic. A draw was 29 per cent, which is what transpired on the day.

For key passes on the day, the title was shared by Anthony Ralston and Kyogo, who both had three. McGregor and Taylor had two each, though they could only muster one goal for all of this creativity.

Team line-up and positions

StatsBomb has Celtic shaping up in a 4-4-1-1 formation, thanks to the involvement of both Kyogo and Adam Idah up front as a deeper forward and striker respectively. Elsewhere, there was little change, though Greg Taylor returned to his spot as first-choice left-back for this one in place of Alexandro Bernabei, who dropped to the bench. Luis Palma and Daizen Maeda occupied their respective wings, whilst Matt O’Riley and Callum McGregor tried to make things happen in the engine room. Stephen Welsh and Liam Scales were the central defensive duo for this one.

When looking at the passing network for this game, Celtic in possession tried to overload the midfield, with Taylor and Idah both dropping in to help support the team in the busiest part of the pitch. In OBV, Welsh was clearly Celtic’s top performer on the ball, judging by his warm colour and the size of the circle, indicating a high volume of passes. Ralston was also a solid contributor, whilst Kyogo and Palma also had decent showings in that metric.


Observing Celtic’s shot map for this match, it paints a picture of a team not having a lot of joy in the game, despite their possessional dominance in proceedings. Indeed, the majority of the side’s shots were blocked, with the club only carving out four decent chances, one of which was Kyogo’s well-taken header.

Speaking of that goal, it was Celtic’s only real moment of quality in the entire match. Ralston picked the ball up just outside the box, with room to deliver the ball into the busy penalty area. Floating a pinpoint delivery into the danger zone, it found Kyogo, who accurately headed the ball past Will Dennis in the Kilmarnock goal. A 0.17 xG shot originally, the chance rose to 0.65 once Kyogo headered the ball goalward, as his header made its way into the top corner.

Many in the stadium would have thought that Kyogo’s first-half strike was to be the decider between the two teams as the clock ticked down, but there was to be a spanner in the works in the shape of a well-deserved equaliser for McInnes’ side. Following good work down the line by Fraser Murray to get a cross into the box, Celtic failed to deal with the delivery, with substitute Bernabei outmuscled by Watson who headered home from close range, despite Joe Hart’s best efforts at keeping the shot out of his own net. 0.15 rose to 0.78 in xG to PSxG, as the young talent scored a vital goal for his team in the 91st minute of the game, a big moment in his promising career thus far. The visitors even had a chance to snatch the victory late on, but Murray’s tame effort was easily saved by the Celtic keeper.

Despite his poor overall performance – in what is becoming a bit of a concern – O’Riley was Celtic’s busiest shooter on the day with six shots, three more than Celtic’s next-best attacker in terms of volume in Palma. Kyogo only had two chances, but he made the most of them with that aforementioned header, a goal that showcased the forward’s quality once again.

Pressing and defending

Although somewhat expected due to possession statistics, Celtic were outpressured by their opponents at a rate of 216 to 133, though their pressure regains were the same at 28 each.

Kilmarnock’s pressing – particularly in the second 45 minutes – gave Celtic a lot of problems, with the backline struggling to clear their lines on more than one occasion. Liam Donnelly seemed to lead the press for the visitors with 37, whilst Lewis Mayo had 30 of his own. O’Riley contributed 24, showing his willingness to graft for the team, though his performance levels are not where they once were this campaign, to the detriment of the team. Maeda had five counterpressures for Celtic, but Marley Watkins led both sides with seven of his own.

READ MORE: Detailed player ratings for Celtic's draw against Kilmarnock

Ralston was Celtic’s best defender in terms of tackles and interceptions with a combined seven. The next best was O’Riley with four combined. In other metrics, Welsh contributed nine clearances and four aerial wins, whilst Scales won nine duels of his own and completed four clearances, though this was not enough to secure a much-needed home win.