Dunfermline climbed into the promotion play-off spots with a victory over Morton tonight.

A deadly double from on-loan Blackpool attacker Owen Moffat was enough to seal a much-needed three points for James McPake’s side. Morton did pull a goal back through Steven Boyd, but they remain rooted to the bottom of the Championship table after back-to-back defeats at Cappielow.

Moffat got the visitors off to a flying start after only 20 seconds as he netted his first senior goal. Some chaotic defending by Morton saw the ball drop perfectly to the attacker on the edge of the box after a poor attempted clearance by Calum Waters. The number 17 sent a powerful curled effort into the bottom corner beyond Jamie MacDonald.

The 21-year-old’s dream start got even better six minutes later. Left-back Josh Edwards drove inside around the halfway line before picking out Moffat who was in space deep inside the Ton’s half. He drove towards the box with purpose as Tyler French backed off. The former Celtic youngster unleashed a low, driven shot which beat MacDonald once again to double Dunfermline’s lead.

 McPake’s side played some scintillating stuff in the first half. Their passing and movement, all one-touch stuff, was streets ahead of what the hosts had to offer. The locals made their feelings known with a loud chorus of boos at various points throughout.

READ MORE: SFA & SPFL Hampden pyro warning after Rangers fans' flares

Iain Wilson stormed up the tunnel on 27 minutes as Dougie Imrie decided to turn to his bench. Lewis McGrattan replaced him as the midfielder threw his top and GPS monitor to the deck in frustration.

Morton did improve after half-time. They threatened with a series of corners, which posed problems for Dunfermline. Kirk Broadfoot’s header was straight at Deniz Mehmet right after the break from a corner.

The Pars did have chances to add to their lead, though. Lewis McCann had a free-kick easily saved before Chris Hamilton missed a glaring chance with a diving header at the back post.

Mehmet did tremendously well to save from Oakley on 70 minutes. His header tested the goalkeeper at point-blank range.

The former Dundee United stopper enjoyed a good evening, but it was his mistake that enabled the hosts a way back into the game. He gifted Morton a penalty after he clattered Oakley, completely missing the ball after an initial poor kick-out. Steven Boyd scored as Morton piled on the pressure in the final moments.

The night belonged to the talented Moffat, though. He was a shining light on a cold night in Greenock.