FOURTEEN games, three competitions, and a temperature range of around 40 degrees. Celtic’s European adventure is finally over for the season, as something of a shadow side went down with a whimper to Bodo/Glimt in Norway.

Perhaps the most telling statistic of that European run though is the 17 goals that Celtic conceded on their travels, and the 27 in total across all fixtures, with their attack unable to compensate for the volume of goals they shipped to continental opposition.

They lost two goals here to seal their fate, an early strike from Ola Solbakken and a second-half goal from Hugo Vetlesen, but the damage done during last week’s desperately disappointing 3-1 first leg defeat to Kjetil Knutsen’s accomplished outfit at Celtic Park.

All of the talk prior to the match from Celtic manager Ange Postecoglou was about how this UEFA Conference League tie was as much of a priority as any other game, but his line-up hardly reflected his rhetoric, with the Premiership clash at Easter Road on Sunday clearly taking precedence.

Captain Callum McGregor was on the bench as Postecoglou made six changes to the side that defeated Dundee on Sunday, with Josip Juranovic, Cameron Carter-Vickers, Reo Hatate, Liel Abada and Jota also making way. In came Liam Scales, Stephen Welsh, Nir Bitton, Matt O’Riley, James Forrest and Daizen Maeda.

It was a long way to travel for the 400 Celtic fans - and at no little expense - to stand uncovered and exposed to the elements to watch such a meek exit, with the nine-quid pints after the game hardly likely to soften the blow.

Most of the other chatter ahead of the game centred on the extreme weather conditions in the Arctic Circle, and as the Celtic players warmed up – or attempted to, at least - they were battered by a howling wind, hail and sleet as it ripped through the exposed Aspmyra Stadium.

As kick-off approached though the weather overhead calmed a little, and while it was still very much on the nippy side, the rain now falling overhead gave the sky the feel of a February night in Glasgow.

There was an impressive pyrotechnics display as the locals signalled they were well up for it, and then it was left to both sets of players to see who could produce the fireworks on the pitch.

It was the hosts who looked to be warming to the task early on, forcing a corner that the Celtic backline allowed to flash right across their goalmouth that - fortuitously for the visitors – carried through to safety.

Joe Hart then passed the ball directly to Ulrik Saltnes on the edge of his own area, but Anthony Ralston managed to get back and retrieve the situation, referee Sergei Ivanov ignoring claims for a bundle into the back of the Glimt captain.

Just as in Glasgow last week though, Glimt would get the early breakthrough. Bitton was robbed in midfield by Elias Hagen, and as the Celtic midfielder claimed in vein for a foul, his opponent charged onto the visiting backline before feeding the ball wide to Solbakken. He took a touch, cut inside onto his left foot, and finished well low across Hart.

It could and should have been two moments later, Amahi Pellegrino getting acres of space inside the Celtic area, but Hart spread himself to block.

Celtic had a fair bit of possession thereafter, but carried little threat. Indeed, it was the hosts who always looked the more dangerous, and Hart again brilliantly denied Pellegrino after an incisive breakaway had put the attacker clear.

It took until five minutes before the break for Celtic to register an attempt on target, stand-in keeper Joshua Smits comfortably fielding a tame header from the hitherto peripheral Giorgos Giakoumakis.

The game seemed well and truly up, so it was something of a surprise to see Postecoglou send on his captain McGregor and Abada at the break for O’Riley and Rogic.

Abada managed to get into the area at least, and Celtic claimed for a penalty as his shot struck the arm of Brede Moe, which warmed up the visiting fans a little if not convincing referee Ivanov.

Maeda then blew their biggest chance of the night as he latched onto a Forrest flick to race in behind the Glimt defence, but the forward blasted over when he should have scored to at least inject a bit of life into the contest.

That was the last fading signs of a pulse though, as Glimt killed Celtic off once and for all.

A slick counter-attack saw a quick exchange of passes on the edge of the box, before the ball was worked wide to Morten Konradesn. His low cross was met by the excellent Vetlesen, who side-footed home.

The rest of the game was immaterial, though - without meaning any disrespect to the players selected - it could be argued that the outcome was preordained from the moment the teamsheets landed in any case.

Many Celtic fans will accept the apparent sacrifice of this tie should Postecoglou’s fully restored side win three crucial points against Hibernian on Sunday to maintain their advantage at the top of the Premiership, though perhaps the shivering contingent that made it all the way up here will not be so immediately forgiving.